- Channel (U-Shaped) Glass
- Textured Glass
- New Construction
- Washington, DC
- Completion Year
- Steven Holl Architects, New York, NY
- Tidewater Glazing, Glen Burnie, MD
The dramatic new Swiss Embassy residence, with views of the Washington Monument and the National Mall, makes a prestigious addition to the list of Washington, DC foreign embassy buildings. Bendheim’s U-profile channel glass, contrasting with slate-trimmed grey concrete, produces a crisp, clean effect in this cross-shaped design from the U.S./Swiss architectural team of Steven Holl and Justin Rüssli. The complex features 10,000 square feet of tempered, low-iron, sandblasted, Solar textured channel glass, installed in our rainscreen frame system by Tidewater Glazing.
Conforming to the strict Swiss MINERGIE® code, the new residence includes reception rooms for cultural events, as well as living quarters. The Swiss Embassy residence will operate at high levels of efficiency, consuming half as much energy as a typical building structure. The project also conforms to the LEED Silver green building standard.
Awards & Recognitions
- AIA NY Chapter Architecture Honor Award, 2007
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) International Award, 2007
- Washington Building Congress Craftsmanship Award: Curtainwall, 2007