- Channel (U-Shaped) Glass
- Textured Glass
- New Construction
- Iowa City, IA
- Completion Year
- Steven Holl Architects - New York, NY; and BNIM Architects - Des Moines, IA
- Miron Construction Co., Inc - Cedar Rapids, IA
- Architectural Wall Systems - West Des Moines, IA
Channel glass by Bendheim soars at 20-foot heights at the new University of Iowa Visual Arts Building by Steven Holl Architects. The concave channel glass openings are carved into the rectilinear building form, creating multiple “centers of light.”
The combination of Bendheim’s 504 Rough Cast™ channel glass texture with translucent Wacotech insulation inserts delivers ideal daylight, as if filtered through a translucent cloud. With no glare requiring shades or other window treatments to block it, classrooms, studios, and lounge spaces are flooded with natural light that appears to have no direct source. The evenly dispersed light creates the best possible atmosphere to work and create in.
In addition to the impressive glare reduction and a high Visible Light Transmission (VLT) of approximately 40%, the insulated channel glass walls offer improved thermal performance, achieving a U-value of 0.19.
Awards & Recognitions
- American Architecture Award, 2017
- Architectural Records’ Top Ten Projects of 2016
- The Architect’s Newspaper Midwest Building of the Year Award, 2016
- Interior Design Best of Year Winner – Education, 2016