- Channel (U-Shaped) Glass
- Textured Glass
- New Construction
- Brooklyn, NY
- Completion Year
- Approx. Surface Area
- 7,000 sq. ft.
- Ennead Architect LLP, New York, NY
- Genetech Building Systems, Staten Island, NY
This Brooklyn affordable housing project is a recipient of the American Institute of Architects’ Housing Awards. Constructed with Bendheim’s Lamberts® channel glass, the project elevates the design standards for affordable housing and creates a community building that is comfortable and aesthetic. The facade comprises 57 unitized channel glass assemblies, and is the largest horizontal channel glass application in the US, as well as the first to use a vertical center mullion.
The project features our post-consumer recycled channel glass to answer the strict demands for sustainable materials. The light-diffusing 504 Rough Cast textured glass channels obscure views and allow daylight into the building. The occasional transparent Clarissimo channels serve as vision lites. The building features a budget-friendly combination of tempered (safety) and annealed (standard non-safety) glass channels, installed in our H-60 double-glazed unitized frame system.
Awards & Recognitions
- AIA Housing Award, Special Housing, 2011
- AIANYS Design Award, Residential-Large Projects – Award of Merit, 2011
- Award of Excellence, Society of American Registered Architects/New York Council, 2011
- Architectural Products Innovation Award, 2011
- Building Brooklyn Design Award – Residential Affordable Category, 2010
- ACEC Engineering Excellence Awards – Diamond Award, 2010
- NCSEA Excellence in Structural Engineering Award, 2009
- SEAoNY Excellence in Engineering Award, 2011
- Supportive Housing Network of New York, Outstanding Residence of the Year, 2011
- John M. Clancy Award for Socially Responsible Housing, Boston Society of Architects, 2011
- AIA Tri-State Design Awards, Honor Award, 2011
- Award of Honor, Society of American Registered Architects/National Council, 2012