- Channel (U-Shaped) Glass
- Textured Glass
- San Francisco, CA
- Completion Year
- SMWM Architects - San Francisco, CA
- US Glass & Aluminum Inc. - San Francisco, CA
A bold design creates two floors of conference space with 23-foot lengths of Bendheim’s Solar channel glass. The U-profile glass proves an innovative method of creating the translucent mezzanine and bringing light into the inner core of the building. It also helped the architectural team overcome significant historical landmark and seismic constraints at the coveted Pier 1 landmark. Thus, the project became the first application of Bendheim Wall Systems’ channel glass in a building listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The renovation of Pier 1, originally built in 1932 as a sugar warehouse, sparked the rehabilitation of the Embarcadero area and served as the turning point in the development of the now-popular waterfront district.
Awards & Recognitions
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) Small-Scale Rehabilitation Award for Excellence
- AIA/DOE Top Ten Green Project
- First American project to win a prize from the British Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), garnering both the Outstanding Achievement Award for Best Building Conservation and the People’s Choice Award.